Where Burp ends Fiddler Begins- How to overcome :Received Fatal Alert: Certificate Unknown





I was testing a mobile application and kept on getting this error “Received Fatal Alert: Certificate unknown”
This is another road bump we frequently encounter when testing SSL applications. 

So I was hit by this problem where if I put a proxy tool in a mobile app I was again and again getting the error: 

Received Fatal Alert: Certificate_unknown
 

Without the intercepting proxy in between it worked perfectly fine. 

I did couple of things first:

1) Installed burp certificate on the mobile device – Did not work
2) Tried ZAP tool – Did not work

3) Finally used Fiddler – Worked 

I have to say before I had used Fiddler and I was not very comfortable with its interface. But when I actually used it, I realized it’s a great tool. 

How to setup your mobile device to use Fiddler as intercepting proxy

1) Go to the WIFI , click on more settings and then select Proxy > Manual

2) Here put the proxy and port as the ip of your system and port here would be 8888 -> This is the default port for Fiddler.

3) Open Fiddler

4) Go to Tools>Options> Connections 


  •   Make sure Allow remote computers to connect is checked
  •   If it is not then check it and restart Fiddler


 

5) Now you should be able to see all HTTP and HTTPS traffic in Fiddler. 


  • Suppose we want to replay a request we can do so by right clicking on any request and selecting “Reissue From Composer”.
  • This allows you to edit any request as you like



6) If you want to edit a response also and then check you can put breakpoints. 

·         Go to Rules>Automatic Breakpoints > Before Request or >After Responses depending on your requirement